Car key fobs or electronic car keys enable us to control the doors, windows, and ignition of the car. Like any other electronic device, malfunctions are common with key fobs too. Have you ever been stuck with a key fob that doesn’t work? If you have that experience you will agree that it is quite a stressful experience if you do not know what to do. If you have a car key malfunction, you can easily reprogram it and fix the problem without a car locksmith.
To be prepared for such situations you must have read the user manual of your key fob. Read further to know the simple steps you need to follow to reprogram your key fob.
How to program a car key?
If you are wondering, can you ever reprogram the key fob on your own, these simple steps will give you an assurance that you can.
- Turn on the ignition: Sit in the driver’s seat and insert the ignition key to turn on the ignition just to start the motor. Make sure you have the key fob with you at this time.
- Press the lock button: Press the lock button on the key fob. While you press the button the key must be aimed at the transmission receiver placed at the front of the car. Turn on the remote for a few seconds and then press the lock button.
- Turn off the ignition: Turn the ignition key to turn off the ignition. After a few seconds, the system will reset the commands. Make sure you do these steps in quick succession.
- Repeat the process for other key fobs: In most of the cars, the system resets the programming for other key fobs if you reprogram one of them. While reprogramming multiple key fobs, make sure there is not much time lag in-between as the process may fail in case of delay.
These general steps usually hold good and will help you reprogram your key fob. Some car manufacturers have a tweaked method of reprogramming. If your car model has a different process, you may refer to the user manual or search online for the steps.
When do you need to call for a locksmith?
If you lose your car key and need a replacement, calling a locksmith is a good option. This is the cheaper way to get a new car key fob as compared to reaching out to the car dealership. An experienced auto locksmith will be able to handle all the steps of key fob replacement. From getting a new one to programming it, an expert locksmith will help you with everything. Expert locksmiths have all the knowledge that a dealership has and they have an added security insight too. They will work to ensure you are satisfied with the service and you are safe after they do their job.
Car key fobs are critical to the safety and security of the car and you. Hence it is best to trust professional service providers. You wouldn’t want to put yourself or the at-risk, isn’t it? Therefore, hiring a professional auto locksmith is not only a less expensive option but also a safer one.
If you hire a local locksmith, they will travel to the spot where your car is so that you get a hassle-free and convenient experience.
How to choose a good auto locksmith?
When you have a malfunctioning car key, the first instinct could be to hire the first auto locksmith that you spot. You will most probably search on the internet for service providers nearby and zero down on the first search result. You must do some research and choose cautiously so that the job is done right.
Before you choose a locksmith, do the following:
- Ask what is the standard fee that they charge. Check for overheads like travel costs.
- Get a quote or estimate before they begin the job.
- Speak to more than one locksmith and compare the rates and services.
- Check their license to operate.
- Hire local locksmiths so that you save travel costs and they know the local rules and guidelines.
Check with your friends and family for recommendations. They may be able to recommend someone they had a good experience with or warn you against someone.